Starting a new job can be a stressful and exciting event. The first few workdays for your new employee can be overwhelming. Take the time during these first few days to welcome your new employee. Taking a few steps to make new employees feel welcome, will not only alleviate a lot of that stress but will also lead to more productivity from your new team members. Here is a list of 5 steps that can be taken to make your new employee feel welcome the moment they arrive!
- Give a guided tour of the office and introduce your new hire to their co-workers. The faster they are made to feel comfortable, the quicker they will begin to contribute to the team.
- Include a list of co-workers names, email addresses and phone extensions.
- Provide a list of popular nearby lunch spots
- Take them out to lunch with their co-workers. This is a great time for the team to get to know each other a bit more than a quick “hello” or “nice to meet you” and welcome the new employee.
- Be patient. The first day can be overwhelming to say the least. Give your new team member some time to process all of the information that will be thrown at them during the first day and week of their new position.
- End of day check-in. Check in with your new hire at the end of the day to see how things went for them. Ask if they have any questions or concerns. This will show that you truly care about their success.
- Give them a gift! You can elect to give a simple and small gift like a polo shirt or tumbler or create a more elaborate package that consists of a custom branded box filled with branded items like a hoodie, sports bottle, notebook, pen and umbrella. The content options are endless!
There are many ways to show your new hire that you are excited to have them. Our favorite option listed above is #5 of course! We work with companies to develop a program that will be appreciated by the recipient and will create excitement about your brand
Do you provide a new employee welcome kit to your new teammates? What type of items do you include in your package? Let us know how we can help. Click here to schedule a quick discovery call or video chat.